Monday, February 9, 2009

The Little Monarchy That Could- get Spezza?????

Are the Kings serious about a playoff run? Today’s fun trade rumors seem to indicate so.

The Sporting News reports a rumor Jason Spezza may be headed for Hollywood. And all I can say is HEDHS – yes!

We LOVE rumor and innuendo here in Holly-weird.

Don’t get too excited- the rumor that he’s being traded for Johnny Quick and Jack Johnson is ridiculous. I hate to say this but, so far this year Spezza has not shown that he’s worth that much. But I’m not writing to debate the value of the players…I’m writing based on the excitement I am feeling that the Kings by even trying to deal for a 30+ goal scorer are showing intelligence and intent to compete.

Just last week a co-worker and I debated what sort of trades the Kings should make before March and the co-worker, a long suffering Kings fan, was dejected, demoralized, disillusioned.

“The Kings won’t spend any money.”

“It’s the same old story, every year. You don’t know, you don’t have to deal with this stuff.” He complained. I refrained from reminding him that the 1980’s were pretty hard on us Wings fans and instead told him he was just wrong.

In fact I was adamant in my disagreement. See, I have only been here in LA for 4 years, but this is the first and only year I have seen a Kings team that is a true contender. A team that, on any given night, can compete and beat the league’s best. I see a young talented team that works hard and smart for 60 minutes. I also see management having made a great stride in hiring Terry Murray, and obviously he is leading this team well.

Chemistry is clicking in LA and they look as good as Chicago did last year- actually they look better than either Chicago or Columbus did last year.

I told the co-worker “All the Kings need to do is spend some money and get a decent goal scorer.”

My co-worker jadedly laughed until he had tears in his eyes. Then he broke down sobbing, weeping and muttering “Luc, where are you????”

I handed him my handkerchief, embroidered with little silver Stanley Cups, and patted his back.

“Have faith! I said.

He was incredibly blue, and could not be convinced that I was right. So I said this:

“Well. Even if they aren’t playoff ready this year,

and even if you have been burned too many times to be easily lead down the purple brick road with me into thinking the Kings Management might be actually interested in a successful team,

you have to agree that think the next move the front office makes will be telling.”

He looked at me quizzically. I continued.

“Whether its at trade deadline or on July 1, if the Kings are serious, they have to get some scoring. If they trade guys like Quick, Doughty, Brown, Ersberg, or Kopitar – then they are not serious and they are not interested in growing their own talent for the betterment of the team. Right now we don’t know what their true intent happens to be. I think the very next step they take will be the most telling of all, and based on that move, we will know whether management wants to contend or not.”

He sniffed, wiped his nose one more time and nodded in agreement as he walked slowly back to his office. I stood there watching him retreat wishing I could make him believe. I just know that what I have been witnessing this year in LA is special.

Three days later, sniffly co-worker arrives at my office door, beaming. He hands me a press release from the Sporting News.

It says that the Kings are looking at Spezza. And then it discredited the rumor entirely, claiming the Kings are not ready, that they are “a year away” from making the playoffs and the writer seems to think the Kings will not stray from the “growing our own prospects” strategy they have been adhering to.

I am here to tell you all – I disagree with Mr. Sporting News pro sports writer guy.

The Kings are the Little Monarcy that Can Make the Playoffs

I think this Kings team can make the playoffs this year, if they stay healthy, focused and especially if they get a 30+ goal scorer. They are right in the thick of the hunt now, and a bit of a spark in scoring could be just the push these young guns need to make a great late season run.

Oh I’m not suggesting they’d be able to take the Sharks out in the first round, but I think this team has a legitimate shot at getting into the playoffs.

Sniffing around Spezza is exactly the kind of move that tells me the Kings are headed down the right path and are serious about building a competitive team.

With 7 teams in the west currently boarding, high sticking and hooking their way to the bottom of the playoff pack- the 7th and 8th seeds, I have my eye on the local boys- the Los Angeles Kings. The Kings are smack dab in the middle of the Canucks, Wild, CBJ, Oilers, Preds and ‘Yotes. Contenders looking at the stretch run.

Ever since watching this young, talented disciplined team beat the Washington Capitals in October, I have been excited about the Little Monarchy that Could. It started first with Erik Ersberg- the Iceberg whose goal tending skills rank him highly in a league, that for the first time in ages seems to be laden with stellar goal tending talent. Oh he is exciting to watch…..

Until I watched the Iceberg attempt a routine kick save, sliding to the post in the December Kings- San Jose game and – groan- he did not get up easily.

Groin injury. Iceberg Out.

Johnny Quick called up from the minors- and let me tell you, in ANY OTHER year, this kid would be touted for the Vezina and the Calder. His goal tending numbers as a rookie are second only to the CBJ’s rookie goal tender and resident brick shiphouse: Steve Mason. Mason’s numbers are a phenom not seen since Terry Sawchuck stood between the posts. 7 shutouts already this year, leading the league in GAA. Tough break for the Kid from Milford CT.

But goaltending isn’t the only story in LA. The poise and confidence Drew Doughty exudes as a leader (at 19 years young) puts other young captains to shame. Doughty, Kyle Quincey, Brown and Johnson are making this team very exciting.

Let’s not forget Kopy either. While a team leading 15 goals and 42 points, are good numbers, they are not high enough for a playoff contending team. Despite the rather good year Mr. Kopitar is having, the missing puzzle piece here in LA is a 30+ goal shooter.

And Jason Spezza’s year needs a boost- a move, anywhere, might be good for him.

Please Mr. Lombardi

So PPPLLLEEEZZEEEE Mr. Lombardi: Spend some money (for once in your life), spend some money and get this team a goal scorer. But don’t throw the baby out with the bath water…..

And please Mr. Lombardi: Reward this hard working talented young team for a very impressive year. But don’t trade your goalies away, for it.

That 8-spot is yours if you make one or 2 right moves. You have 6 other teams in the hunt with you, and at least three are in a bit of a decline from their season peak.

Please Mr. Lombardi, show all these long suffering Kings fans that you are committed and want to build this team into a contender! Spezza is a good move- but don’t give up your Core for him. Doughty, Kopy, Ersberg, Quick, Brown, Quincey, Greene, Calder, Sully, Frolov and even O’Donnell- this is your base. Don’t let these kids go.

I can’t wait to see what happens. Next move will reveal all!


Originally Posted on Monday February 09, 2009 @ 05:13 PM EST at http://fans.nhl.com/members/JuiceinLA/boards/28268

Copyright 2008. All Rights Reserved. No use or reproduction without the express written permission of the author.

No comments: