Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ersberg Iceberg

I know I’ve posted too much this weekend, but its likely that this is the last weekend before the holiday in which I just get to sit around with my family and enjoy hockey…so indulge me won’t you? At least this one isn’t about the Wings…


Its been three years of following the Kings out of the corner of a jaded eye through red tinted sunglasses. Smug giggling as the boys in black and purple fell over the boards on a line change against the Wings in 2006 turned, in 2007, to a cautious realization that I was starting to remember names and beginning to feel for this struggling young team. And now in 2008, I actually watch this growing team show poise and character with interest and hope.


This Kings team is playing exciting hockey and its fun to watch especially when you’re not totally vested in the win or the individual players. Reminds me of the early 1990’s when we Detroiters watched a young Steve Yzerman the quietest Nic Lids, a babyfaced Chris Osgood, a funny, cocky misunderstood Sergei Fedorov and the shyest Slave Kozlov all grow into the league’s finest.


Nooooooooo, I’m not making any comparisons here. AT ALL. There will never be another team like the Wings of the 1990’s. They were amazing and perfect and the very best. There will never be another team with as much talent, heart, courage, faith, teamwork, fight, drive, and desire as my 1990’s Wings. I don’t care what you say, it’s a closed case. Unless you mean the Red Wings of these 2000s… then yes well yes, you may have a point.


But watching a young team grow, like a colt getting its legs, is exciting and heartwarming. Especially in a town where such growth and talent is largely unappreciated. What can I say, I’m a sucker for an underdog.


So as I sit waiting for my beloved Red Wings game to start in just under a half hour I am finding myself delighted that the Kings are leading the Blackhawks 5-2. I’m starting to just adore Doughty, Kopitar and Brown. Not the way I love my Red Wings, who are like my own family, but more like the way you care about the kids in your neighborhood.


And while Doughty, as I have said, is really impressing me with his maturity and solid play- well beyond his 18 years, its a young swede once more catching my eye. My favorite King is fast becoming Erik Ersberg.



How Swede It Is


Ersberg’s path to the NHL was a bit unusual. He came to the Kings from the Elitserien (Swedish Elite League) in 2007. Ersberg was considered a late bloomer as he didn’t play at the national level in his junior or youth years.


However by the time he turned 24 he was nominated for Elitserien Rookie of the Year in 2006-2007, and won the Elitserien League’s Goalie of the Year in 2007. Despite such success he wasn’t ever drafted into the NHL. Instead, he was hand picked by the Kings in 2007, likely the result of Mr. Lombardi’s proven ability to see that European talent is out there.


Turns out to have been a shrewd move. When isn’t it where a Swede is involved?


As of November 25th Ersberg was ranked 4th in the league with a 1.98 GAA and 10 straight starts. (After a tough 6-2 loss to the Flames, He’s now 11th with a 2.32 GAA, numbers that should turn up a bit better after the 5-2 win against Chicago today).


Having had the last 10 starts for the Kings, He’s quickly showing up as a very solid netminder, who stands on his head, especially when his defense shows up.


Tonight he made a fantastic glove save off a close range wrist shot from Patrick Kane. It was a thing of beauty that made me gasp. And he got a solid 5-2 win, particularly appropriate since just last year he made his NHL debut against the Chicago Blackhawks. No doubt he had something to prove tonight.


Ersberg lost that February 2008 debut against Chicago 6-5 in overtime (after being called in to replace LaBarbera, and stopping 19 of 20 saves).


He then got his very first shutout in the NHL on March 6, 2008. A very impressive NHL debut week indeed. Since then he has played clean up for the streaky LaBarbera.


While he’s not yet considered the Kings’ Starting Goalie yet. You watch, you wait. Its coming.


Ersberg is the real deal folks. I have 5-2 odds says he could drop Dicaprio and Winslet quicker than you can say:


“It’s so cold.”

Post game update: Ersberg held his lead, and got the third star of the game- Great Job Kiddo, I am looking forward to following your career. You are gonna make some great waves in this league. Now its time for the Marquee game…On to my Wings!


Originally Posted on Saturday November 29, 2008 @ 08:02 PM EST at

http://fans.nhl.com/members/JuiceinLA/boards/24683

No comments: