Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Detroit Red Wings Deserve a 2009 Celebration Parade in the City of Detroit


My lavender ottoman made of shantung silk is stained with tears. Big tear drop splooches, long dried, will be a permanent reminder of the heartbreak suffered this Friday June 12, 2009. Wadded up Kleenex are still strewn about its base because I was too upset to worry about cleaning up after myself last night. A warm beer, barely touched, sits on a coffee table though my brother and the last of the house guests are long gone.


I felt numb and empty and horrified. At my team and at myself. I can’t talk about how horribly the Wings played or how mad I am that Hossa never scored, or how upset I am that Chris Osgood was denied the Conn Smythe. I can't explain what I saw or why it felt like the Detroit Red Wings failed to show up last night. (I refuse to believe they didn't give their all, hence "felt like"- clearly I don't know what really happened...)


I have never seen a Red Wings team implode like this. And certainly not
THIS one. I still can’t even imagine it even though I watched it happen. It was a bad dream. All I could do last night was wonder how badly the Wings themselves must be feeling.

Another thing I can’t fathom.

Permanent tear stains on a silk ottoman.

And yet when I woke this morning, I hadn’t died.
I didn’t feel like staying in bed and mourning. I didn't even feel that bad. It felt like a normal day, despite waking to a thick grey marine layer.


June Gloom here in Coastal Southern California. Depressingly appropriate, but not a red door painted black.


I woke to realize that my tears from last night weren’t as much about my disappointment, as for my Wings. For the boys in red and white who have given Red Wings fans one helluva year.


Saddened that they have to wake up today and live with that loss. After the incredible fight through the Thucks and injury and against a league that often failed to provide them a fair fight.


So strong was my belief that these Wings would prevail over any obstacle thrown at them, a skate stomping pen-duck trying to injure Chris Osgood, or the end of a stick jammed up under the Mule's helmet at his temple, rumors that Nic Lids was not 100%, waived suspensions for undeserving MVPs- none of it dissuaded me from the fact that all throughout these playoffs, I was sure the Wings could overcome. And when they didn't, it hit me like a Lidstrom slapper to the gut. I couldn't imagine how horrible it must feel for our boys in red.


And that is what actually makes me tear up again. Because they don’t deserve it. They deserve to be celebrated.


Celebrated for what these Red Wings have given us this year,


The Wings deserve a parade right down Woodward to Hart Plaza with a million fans thanking them and cheering their year.


This year, 2009.


They deserve thanks and praise for this amazing year.
And you fans in Detroit deserve to celebrate this amazing year too. And I am 100% certain the Wings want to thank you for your support.

Time to celebrate
a year of being the Stanley Cup Champions, The year of our Winter Classic. Of beating the Sharks 6-0 at home, and always handing Chicago their young, punk asses. A year of showing us time and time again grace, class, dignity and incredible talent, heart and drive.


A year of glorious passes and wonderful saves, Datsyukian dekes and Nic Lids slapshots from the point. A year of cheers and even some joyous tears.


So on this day after a crushing Stanley Cup loss, I thank you my Detroit Red Wings.


For all the games and wins I personally attended during your California tour of duty.


For the puck Andreas Lilja tossed to me.


For the Winter Classic and Brian Rafalski’s cap.


For Pasha’s utter brilliance with the puck and Ozzie’s amazing Conn Smythe earning playoff run.


For Hank’s heart and Danny’s drive.


For Jiri Hudler’s great grin and wicked one timer.


For ice cream eaten out of the Cup by our kids.


For parties at Cheli's with the Cup.


For Darren Helm’s break out post- season.


For a year of helping me understand Mikael Samuelsson’s quirky but undeniable talent.


For Homer’s butt.


For the heart and leadership we got to see Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby exhibit in these playoffs.


For growing your AHL players into Stanley Cup contenders like Helm, Abs, John-E and Ville.


For showing Chicago just who sucks.


For keeping D-mac and Cheli in the fold.


For Nic Lids, who fights through it all without a word, or complaint, just like his predecessor.


For Black Cowboy Hats on Coaches at Wrigley.


For Bab’s sense of humor and the looks he gives reporters.


For bringing the Cup to us throughout 2008.


For 18 years of being the most dominant team in the sport.


For Ken Holland’s brilliance with the Cap.


For beating the Ducks over and over again with your gorgeous speedy, skilled puck possession globetrotter-esque style of play. . .


For a management that values family and wisdom and experience and loyalty, setting the standard to which all teams in this league must ascribe to in order to be successful.


For caring about all your fans, the City of Detroit, her suburbs and their citizens, and battling to the end when you had nothing left in the tank, just for all of us.


For taking your fans all the way through the post season to the very end in such a thrilling, beautiful way, playing with class and courage, through injury and insult and thuggery and with more heart than we had a right to ask for.



Thank You my Detroit Red Wings. You may not get a parade this year, but you still deserve one.


Once more you have given us the journey, the ride and you made me proud.

Proud to be a Detroit Red Wing Fan.


And this ride, journey has been amazing, just like all of you.


Thank you. Now please enjoy your summer, we have a Cup to get back next year....



1 comment:

Marino said...

Being a Boston Bruins fan, I feel your pain.