Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blind Item and Draft Picks

Originally published on Sunday June 22, 2008 @ 12:02 PM EDT

at http://fans.nhl.com/members/JuiceinLA/blogs/17193

Blind Item: Which Red Wing, Future, Present or Past does this quote from Swedish scout extraordinaire H. Andersson describe?


“There are other skilled 5-11 guys, but he’s more intense, Works harder, chases the puck, backchecks very good. Not very physical, but skates and works and wants the puck back all the time.”


Ok, I don’t normally do this- Predict or pretend I know anything about prospects. I guess my boy twenty_two inspired me! So I read some brief bios on the Wings picks, and here is the kid I think the Wings will turn into an Yzerman, Zetterberg or Datsuyk.


Gustav Nyquist.


Picked in the 4th round, 121 overall. He’s small, 5’10. 169. His stats are unimpressive, but this is why they picked him:


“There are other skilled 5-11 guys, but he’s more intense, Works harder, chases the puck, backchecks very good. Not very physical, but skates and works and wants the puck back all the time.”


This description epitomizes exactly what the Wings Organization is all about. In fact, as our greats- Stevie Y., Igor, Drapes, Nick, Zetts, Dats. Its what I love about this team and our management.


The Wings picked a kid in the 4th round, who had relatively bad stats and was injured this year. Honestly, I don’t know how these scouts look at 16- 17 year old kids and know that they have something extraordinary. Especially the kids way, way down the list. How can you tell they have potential to succeed in the NHL? Some of it is obviously a gamble, but still.


And yet, mark my words, give it 2-3 years, and if this kid comes on 20-30 pounds heavier and works on his skills by the time he makes it to the show, it will be a clinic on what the Wings do best.


Wait I take that back. Wings do everything the best. Ha, ha. I get to say that all year right?


Bragging rights ROCK!

No comments: