Monday, August 4, 2008

Of Pucks, Penalties, Pace, Prodigy- and OHHH-ppie!


This blog was originally posted on Sunday May 25, 2008 @ 12:11 PM EDT at www.nhlconnect.com - http://fans.nhl.com/members/JuiceinLA/blogs/15225

Whew!

Whew. Game One, 4-0 Wings! Provin’ me right. Whew. What a game! What a fast, fun night (despite- apparently- soupy ice). What a relief to see that with the exception of 8-10 minutes in the first, this was the Wings game, The Wings controlled the Puck, the Play the Pace and the Prodigy.

Apparently not the Penalties though. Oh, honey, don’t even get me started. I have already ordered my “Puck Bettman” t-shirt. Its over, the league no longer gets the benefit of my doubt. Period. It isn’t just that at least 6 of those penalty minutes and the waived goal were totally bogus, its that the league tried to interfere with Homer’s style of play, and in doing so, affects an entire team in one of the most important games of the year.

A style of play every team has used and hired a defenseman to perform for years and years- H-E-DHS, since the days Dino Cicarelli gave St. Louis fits while wearing the Red and White (ok probably a lot longer that that, but Dino is the first guy I ever noticed perfecting this style of play, so humor me please).

What the league is doing is penalizing Homer for being the best at a style and skill they have allowed all season, for every team- a style that they only started penalizing when the Wings began to dominate these playoffs. And only penalizing the Wings- no other team has had a waived goal, and plenty of them have had a butt in Ozzie’s crease.

It’s not just about the second bogus waived goal. Its about trying to bully a guy into changing his game after allowing it all season. The league isn’t just messing with one guy, they are playing god with an entire team. You can’t convince me otherwise.

Ok enough about that.

Sammy Stepped up Huge! Yea!!! Never have I been so glad to be wrong about someone. Never! (I have got to give the exclamation points a rest.) Did you see how happy his teammates were for him? So heartwarming. Yae…

And Ozzie got the shutout! (Ok one more.)

Game One SC Finals, against a team the entire media world and a huge portion of the hockey world was saying has the potential to light him up. And Ozzie gets a shut out. Ozzie gets the shutout- say it again. It feels good.

He was so on it, in it and up above it.

He was amazing and hot – and in this context I mean that in a “goalie” sort of way.

Of course I think he’s “hot”, I think lots of the Wings are super hot- but after all the “Zetts is Movie Star Hot, Crosby looks like Lampwick” silliness of yesterday, well, I’m leaving all that hotness business to the Dallas Star girls- they don’t have anything better to do these days….

Back on topic: Seems to me, there is no better way to say “Puck the Naysayers” than with a shut out in the first game of the finals.

I always meet with a conundrum in talking about the Wings- how not to praise everyone. Cleary had the game of his playoff life, and still Nick, Zetts, Dats, Rafs -everyone deserves praise. I feel bad leaving anyone out.

See???? I forgot Helms and Hudler- who made our 4th line look like everyone else’s first…

However, its Ozzie who takes the majority of baseless criticism, and because of that, it is Ozzie who I am pulling for most right now. I said it before, but I’ll keep saying it as long as it tips my tongue- I want this cup for him more than anyone.

Silence the critics for once and for all. Why- again- is he NOT considered a Hall of Fame goalie?

And what about the Prodigy?

Crosby was nullified. 3 shots. Srsly, is that all he had the whole game? 3 shots. Am I right? I’m rubbing my eyes as if I were a cartoon character.

Fleury tripped coming onto the ice- I know, I know I admit it, I giggled. Sorry, but a show of weakness is a show of weakness. I absolutely recognized that the “poor kid” must have been beyond nervous. Such a bad start- I almost felt bad for him.

Then I snapped back, realized I have seen Roy trip coming onto the ice too and all opposing goalies are evil. So I may have had a little fun at the kid’s expense…I’m only human. Come on! He tripped coming into Game One, SCF, on Away Ice. There is almost no way to live that down, except maybe with a shutout-

Oh, yea. My bad, the Hot Goalie did that.

I don’t typically like to rip the other team- but in noticing these things, please understand my perspective: its more about rebutting the media hype than insulting these youngins.

Besides, I am a seasoned Red Wing fan. I live knowing there is NOWAY I can predict what comes next, and I took the Octo-oath to never relax.

Years of up and down training, never feel fully settled, I know nothing is over until the Octopi swings.

I won’t let myself think giddy positive thoughts and I won’t relax until the 4th win.

Even when we’ve won a cup (in the past). The joy lasts only until I realize “Crap there isn’t anymore hockey.” a thought quickly followed by, “Ok, let’s do it again next year.”

Last night: soon as I was done screaming and jumping up and down and feeling not just relief, but joy at how prettily we won, how handily and how there can’t possibly be anything negative anyone can say anymore,

- all of 3-4 minutes-

Well, I settled down and my first thought was:
Ok, let’s see how the Pens regroup. Game One should have been the test. They should have come out guns blazing. The Pens should have been much much better if they are gonna live up to the hype. But as a Wings fan, I know anything can happen in the Finals. Game Two will be a test. Are we in their heads? Was the Wings dominance last night 70% our talent, 30% the nervous fear of the Pens?

I think its really more of an 85-15 split, and that is why I woke this morning chomping at the bit.

36 hours until Game Deux. I can’t wait.

And you know, the only arrogant unsupportable thought I am having these days:

That I can’t wait to see if the Wings school these pee-wees again?

Nah. The juniors joke is too easy.

Rather that I’m dying (and thrilled) to see these Wings handle any and every challenge sent their way-handle it with the ease, grace and utter dominance- befitting of the level of talent I have come to believe they really have.

Thanks for backing my shizz up Boys. Lets go (The exclamation point is implied.)

Copyrighted 2008, all rights reserved by Behrgreer Ltd. and the author. No reproduction or use without the express written permission of the author.

No comments: