Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Perfecting Perfection: The Latest on the Wings.

Originally published on Sunday June 29, 2008 @ 11:59 PM EDT

at http://fans.nhl.com/members/JuiceinLA/blogs/17510


As some of you may be aware July 1 isn’t an incredibly important day for the Wings. What with our insanely talented, quadruple threat, deep, strong, tough, brilliant core intact and hopefully on the back nine somewhere these days, all the Wings have to do over the next few weeks is dabble in perfecting perfection.


A job as difficult as having to decide between your 59 degree lob wedge or your pitching wedge when you’re 78 yards out on the 7th hole at Pebble Beach, while a gentle salty breeze blows through your hair and the ocean crashes rhythmically over the crest, beyond your lie. Cerulean blue surrounding on three sides twinkling and sparking, just a mirror for the sun.


Sigh. It’s a tough job, but someone has got to do it.


Checking the news today there isn’t much. Most papers, websites (etcetera) are just now predicting what I said last week…


Self-aggrandization aside (ahem eyeroll please), here is the latest and the greatest.


Stewie, Stewie, Stewie – No pickles please…:


Still an issue. Nothing new to report. Holland continues to say Brad is No. 1 priority. Obviously nothing happens now before July 1 offer sheets. I wonder who will take a look at him. Possibly San Jose.


Just a mirror for the Sundin:


Sundin to Detroit. It looks like we are gonna make a run for Mats. I know, I know. Some of you don’t like it, but Kenny is talking about it today in Detroit. Its gonna happen, if Mats wants it.


The real question will be the length of the deal. Whether the Wings offer a one-two year deal or something more substantive. I can’t imagine Sundin taking a one year deal, obviously if he does, it’s a cup run. Something I would never hold against him.


As I have said before, I like it for Mats, I like to see future HOFs get their shot at the cup. That said, this is not a necessary deal for the Wings: I don’t think we need him and he’s expensive. We also have to be mindful of resigning Zetts and The Mule next year, so even with the nice cap space we currently enjoy, Sundin will not be cheap. Based on what my friends Chrono and Sonny have said, I had come to the conclusion that Tucker would have been more useful.


Goalies- No means no- don’t make me say it again.


To my surprise, even though Wings insist Howard will get his shot at sealing up the No.2 Goalie spot at Camp, Ken Holland is going shop FA goalies. Wow. Well this makes me think- who is available, and willing to ride the bench, maybe only play 10-15 games?


Someone suggested Emery to me today. All I can say is “NO means NO, KOBE” Good God, I feel dirty and like I need a shower just for having to address the question. I think I vurped a little. NO MEANS NO people. No way this guyfits into the Wings system. Period.


Theodore- eh, unimpressive. Runs, hot and cold and probably too expensive. Thank goodness.


Kolzig and Conklin- either or. I’m indifferent. I don’t think we need a goalie.


No means no people.


EDIT- a new Add:


Shanny: I know I can’t help it. How can you not love Shanny? “Coach said no Sax before the game” Classic!!!!!


New York is being deceptive and coy, so he’ll get offer sheets on Tuesday. Could be that the Rangers are weighing Shanny against Sundin… hmmmm….

.
New York would be foolish to get rid of him, but they might want Mats.

Some people in Detroit are speculating that Shanny could be discussed at the Joe’s offices. I think he’s too expensive, but he’d obviously be welcomed. Nothing But love for Shanny, I hope he gets the best deal for him, but I don’t think he’s coming home to the D.


Update No. 2- Rolston: Some folks have talked this Minn. player up in the event Stuart doesn’t sign, and as we speak i am having a sinking feeling Stuart is not coming to Detroit if SJ makes a play for him….I dont know anything about Rolston. anyone?
More more more….


Need more analysis? Check my blog from last week- its status quo.


Hang in there people, Tuesday is just around the corner. Until then, grab your clubs, polish up the Trusty Rusty (NOT a euphemism), because the Lob Wedge ALWAYS works better in the rough at Pebble Beach than a Pitching Wedge.


Just a mirror for the sun.

No comments: