Monday, August 4, 2008

Huge Win? : of Swinging Octopi, Pimp Walks and Complacency

Originally posted Sunday June 01, 2008 @ 01:12 PM EDT at http://fans.nhl.com/members/JuiceinLA/blogs/15870

Game 4, SCF.

Whew.

I was numb, worked exhausted when that game was over. When it was done I had nothing left, couldn’t even analyze what had transpired. Nothing funny or insightful to say about the game even during the game- just nail biting tension.

And all I did was sit on my tush on my cushy couch for three hours, I can’t imagine what the team feels. Ok. To be fair, I actually couldn’t sit on the couch, I sat on the floor with my arms wrapped around my knees, probably rocking back and forth somewhat catatonically. When it was over, it felt more like a lull than the end of the battle (still does).

I want to say that was a huge win- but you know what? It was but it wasn’t.

Wasn’t a Huge Win: Wings won a game that wasn’t –mathematically- a must win. Could have relaxed, could have settled, could have let this one go. I’m not burying the pens yet let’s see how they come out in Game 5. Trust me some good hockey is left to be played and even the fat lady knows it ain’t over until the Octopi swings, baby.

But it was: It seems to me that the last lesson these Wings had to learn in these playoffs was to overcome their own “complacency”- which they did with flying colors last night.

And by “complacency” I mean giving 87% rather than the 119% I am accustomed to expecting of this team. And they did it, it was a beautiful thing, to be sure. Yea I’m tough to please- but that is what happens when your team spends two months living up to, and in some cases exceeding, the hype of being indestructible.

Here are my thoughts on the game that was and wasn’t:


This Wings team is the whole package: You might not be inclined to think the Wings put a clinic on during yesterdays game- but in several respects they did: They flawlessly demonstrated these things:
Leadership-

Captain-strom comes out and scores in his signature BBHB stylee: (Brilliant Bullet in the Head from the Blue), so smart and patient reading the play, waiting for the screen, but most importantly taking charge, and putting everyone’s head back onto executing “our” game despite the penalties and the potential for Pen-momentum.


Ozzie
– what more can you say? 1.45 GAA! He just keeps getting better with each series- elevating the team. True, Hossa’s goal last night was a mistake. But just as I was sitting there thinking Ozzie needs to stand on his head in this game not just as a SC winning goalie but as a team leader; he fended off attack after attack that left me breathless. And what’s more? His post-game interview was flawless- He showed more poise, strength of character and humility than frickin Ghandi- something to which Sid the Kid should aspire.
Filling BIG Pimp Shoes:

ala Cleary stepping in for Homer. Cleary setting up camp in front of Fleury- so nice! Of course we missed Homer out there for sure last night, and I am not talking about anything involving butts or creases, but because he was generating lots of opportunities in game 3. I seldom focus on his all around game, but Homer has got it all- including (according to Zetts and Draper) a “pimp walk”.


Zetts, Dats and Franzen:

(I feel the need to give a “will pump you up” shout out here, no, no that would be cliché…) Z,D, and F and their Puck Dominance, it really applies to the team, but these guys blow me away. To be fair- I believe its only half the battle, because our scoring opportunities were still iffy compared to Games 1 and 2.)


Babs:
If he doesn’t get the Jack Adams, it’s a travesty. I am adore his fire and no nonsense style as much as I revere Bowman’s cool stealth demeanor.

The Future Now: Helm and Hudler- Showing as much poise and grit in these finals than a certain other highly touted twenty something duo…. Just saying.

Overcoming the burden of complacency.

Losing this game would not have meant the series was over- or even that the Wings were on the ropes. Had the Wings lost, it likely would have been a result of their own actions, and not the pens controlling the game. Maybe Sid and the kids would have gained a little more momentum, assured a 7 game series, maybe. Thank goodness we don’t need to speculate on such things….just need to play the next one and see what happen



Zetts- Not sure how its possible, but with each game he elevates his play beyond what I previously thought was amazing. He’s everywhere, he sees everything and he has been the most influential player on the ice in each of these finals games. And just so you know, I say this desperately wanting Ozzie to get the Conn Smythe…

• Dats-I have nothing bad to say about Dats, but when a friend pointed out that Dats has been held pointless for 11 periods- and that freaked me out. How is it possible?

• Rafalski. Now I know he frustrated some of you with the penalties, but you know what- (i) they were gonna give us penalties anyway, may as well earn ‘em; and (ii) He is all over the ice, making, setting up plays and scoring opportunities. For the entire playoffs he has a +/- of 7! I know you think he’s taking too many slapshots, but I don’t think that’s entirely what he’s doing. I think his “slapshots” are set ups for someone else’s scoring opportunity.

• Crosby: I have to give credit where its due: He gave his team the first goal
at home in what was a truly “must win” for them. That is the way you lead on the ice. Also, I noticed somewhere around third period of Game 3, he adjusted his game, and started camping out behind Ozzie, looking to pick a pocket rather than continue to execute in his typical stylee. That is a good sign for the future of the pens- that he will eventually grow in character.
o “goal*” was highlighted above because it was hossa (right?) but mostly because the replay clearly showed Hall in the crease and it should have been waived off.
o It’s hard to pick on a 20 year old kid for lack of class and character, but his post game interviews do reveal that this kid has a lot of growth ahead of him, and that he lets his frustrations get the best of him. Some day he will have these Wings to thank for the lessons he should learn from these finals. Someone send him a copy of Bull Durham. “Fear and Arrogance … not Fear and Ignorance.”

Incidentally- was Crosby even born when that movie came out? Sigh.

• Malkin: Well, we have clearly gotten to this kid. Nuff said.

Whining, Crying and Stealin’: or as you might know them- Announcers, Therrien, Officials: Just when I think it can’t get any worse or biased- well -expectations being exceeded do happen to be a theme of this blog. I feel like a frickin broken record, so I will just point this out: No matter what the GD SOB FD officials throw at the Wings, they find a way to over come it. No wonder Therrien cries so darn much.

Random Musing: when you google “Detroit Red Wings” the 1997 Wings-Avs brawl on youtube always makes the top 15 search results- but here is a weird observation: over the last week, it has gone from the bottom of the first page search results to top 5 search results.

One more Win. Just one more, three chances. The thought chokes me up more than the Sex in the City opening. Yea I saw it- yeaaaa, I saw it at the Thursday night, midnight showing- and yeaa I wore Jimmy Choos- whatever. OF COURSE I did. I am, after all still a total girl. Just a girl who loves hockey and shoes. Is that so wrong?

Copyrighted 2008, all rights reserved by Behrgreer Ltd. and the author. No reproduction or use without the express written permission of the author.

No comments: